It is the condition were someone has the combination of multiple risk factors for cardiovascular – diabetes – nephropathies
- Abdominal fat
- Increased sugar / insulin resistance
INDICATIONS – IMPORTANCE
Medical companies estimate for the US that 25% of the population have metabolic syndrome. It is found the same at all ages, but mostly in overweight people with significant accumulation of fat in the abdomen and limited physical activity.
Criteria for metabolic syndrome are
|Parameters (must be combined> 3)||criterion / measure|
|Waist size||≥102 cm in men
≥88 cm in women
|Cholesterol HDL||<40 mg / dL in men
<50 mg / dL in women
|Arterial pressure||≥130 mm Hg systolic
≥85 mm Hg diastolic
in drug therapy anti-hypertensive
|Fasting sugar||≥100 mg / dL
in drug therapy
Early and effective treatment is important as a prevention to
- Serious cardiovascular disease ( pre-thrombotic stress, hypertension)
- Chronic inflammatory reactions
- 2-hour fasting Glucose ( with a 2 hours after a lunchmeal samplingl) as well as the Glucose Tolerance Test can be used to assess the ability to manage Glucose.
- Glycated hemoglobin HBA1c , is the measurement of mean sugar levels over the last 45 days
- Insulin and c-peptide are the hormones responsible for the burning of the sugar, and being the index of endogenous insulin production.
- Lipid profile (cholesterol, HDL-C, LDL-C, triglycerides, total lipids, Apo A-100, Apo B, Lp (a)) assesses lipid metabolism and dietary status. Used as an independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease.
- 24-hour urinary microalbumin (Alb-U-24h) Reflects kidney health and being a potential risk fator for renal failure.
- hs-CRP (C-reactive protein), homocysteine (Hcy), adiponectin reflect the inflammatory response caused by the syndrome and obesity.
Information selected from :
- Interpretation of Diagnostic Tests – J.Wallach
The exact choice of tests required, is under the responsibility of your treating physician
Editor: I. Gratsias Lab Director / Clinical Biochemist
Last Update May 2019
Medical Tests performed with analytical systems and reagents
by SIEMENS-USA & BECMAN COULTER-USA
Recomendations -preparation for morning blood sampling :
- Should have a mandatory meal previous night.
- Last meal should be up to 11-12 hours before blood collection.
- Evening meal prefered to have the least possible animal fat.
- In the morning should not have any lunch. Coffe without sugar and water are free.
For 24h urine collection, a special container is needed.
It is important to collect ALL the urine though out the 24 hours of the day
- Results are given within next day.